Monday, July 25, 2011

Reporters Get Laid Off Every Day

Luke Ford writes: KTTV news reporter John Schwada blogs on Facebook that so few people have spoken up about his firing: “But really what disturbs me most is the silence from my union, AFTRA, and from the journalism academy. When a veteran reporter for no good journalistic reason is dismissed, where are their independent voices? Some of these folks are even protected by tenure? Their silence is particularly disappointing.”

I don’t know John Schwada’s work because I rarely watch local TV news. I hear he is a great reporter but TV is inherently shallow and I don’t watch much of it.

What gets me about John’s Facebook post is how universal it is. We are all disappointed when people don’t care about us. When they don’t speak up for us. When they don’t take our side.

However, as a great economic professor of mine (Russell Roberts) once said at UCLA, “Other people don’t think about you as much as you do.”



No comments: